If your dream kitchen must include an island, you must be careful to design it properly. The wrong choices or poor planning can result in an island that causes more problems than it solves, or that ruins the flow of the space.
Here are the essential design points to remember:
- Measure carefully to ensure there is enough space
“Thirty-six inches is the minimum between cabinets, 42 inches is ideal for a one-cook kitchen and 48 inches is optimal for a kitchen with more than one cook,”
- How will your island be used?
- Making your island practical for cooking
- Orientation and smooth kitchen workflow
- Experiment with shape, form and materials
- The fitting is just as important as any other kitchen unit, if not more so
Choose only an expert fitter, such as the team at A&J Kitchens who have years of experience fitting kitchen islands of all shapes and sizes.